Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Hanging Tough

Here is the word from Greg Guzick:

HASP has successfully completed the last hurdles prior to flight; the “hang test” (compatibility test) and the Flight Readiness Review. Thus, at the next opportunity we will launch. As today’s weather briefing an opportunity for launch on Friday 9/1 at 7:30 am local (13:30 UTC) was identified. However, there is a front that may move through the area too quickly bringing high speed low altitude winds. The next, and better looking, opportunity is Sunday 9/3 at 7:30 am local. In either case the high altitude winds are clocking along at 30 to 40 knots. This would bring us to the end of our 550 mile range in about 12 to 14 hours. We will probably be able to make a decision about whether to try for the Friday launch after the Thursday weather briefing at 2:00 pm local (20:00 UTC).

The Google map tracking will also provide you with an idea of where the payload is currently located. Finally, we are expecting to bring the CosmoCam video online within the next day.

For the next several day events may progress rapidly. There we have added a “HASP Status” box on the HASP main page. I will be using this “status box” to distribute the latest news as we get closer to launch. Stay tuned.

GeoCam is located on the left on this image taken during the Hang test.

NEXRAD readings can be found here. There is also a Google Mash up with Nexrad results for the U.S. at

More images of the hang test can be found here. The new CFP for next year can be found here.

No comments: